Pecan nut pie
Use ouma’s ‘smeerkors’, same as for piesangtert and melktert.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Karo dark corn syrup
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 single crust pie pastry, unbaked
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy; then add salt, corn
syrup, eggs and vanilla.
- Line a pie pan with pastry and sprinkle evenly with pecans.
- Pour the filling over the pecans, covering completely.
- Bake in a very hot oven (450 degrees F) for 10 minutes. Reduce
temperature to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 35 minutes
longer or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.