Paul's massaman sweet potato & eggplant curry
Vegan sweet potato and aubergine massaman curry
Source: Paul A.
For the paste
- 5 red bird’s-eye chillies
- 4 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks, tough outer leaves removed, then roughly chopped
- 50g bunch coriander, leaves picked and set aside, stalks roughly chopped
- 100g (4.5 tbsp) smooth peanut butter
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.75 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground cloves
- 1.5 tbsp galangal paste
- 1.5 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2.5 tsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 100mL water
Serve with rice and/or flatbreads.
For the curry
- 2 x 400ml tins coconut milk
- 400g aubergine, cut into 2cm x 2cm chunks
- 800g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm x 3cm chunks
- 1 handful dried coconut slices, to garnish - toasted
- Blend everything to paste
- Put a large pan for which you have a lid on a medium heat and, once
hot, fry the paste, stirring constantly, for five minutes, until
dark and glossy; take care it doesn’t catch and burn.
- Add the coconut milk little by little, stirring it into the paste
as you go, then
- Throw in the aubergine and bring the lot up to a bubble.
- Add the sweet potato, cover the pot, turn down the heat to minumum
and leave to cook for 20 minutes (or, preferably, an hour), until
the aubergine has collapsed and the sweet potato is very tender.
While the curry is cooking, toast the coconut slices. Put a small
frying pan on a medium flame and, once hot, toast the coconut for a
couple of minutes, until golden brown on both sides, then tip out on
to a plate.
- Scatter coriander leaves and (optionally toasted) coconut slices.