- 570ml milk
- 55ml oz single cream
- 1 vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, yolks only
- 30g caster sugar (could be a tad sweeter –Paul)
- 2 level tsp cornflour
- Bring the milk, cream and vanilla pod to simmering point slowly over
a low heat.
- Remove the vanilla pod (wash the vanilla pod, dry and store in jar
with caster sugar to make vanilla sugar).
- Whisk the yolks, sugar and cornflour together in a bowl until well
- Pour the hot milk and cream on to the eggs and sugar, whisking all
the time with a balloon whisk.
- Return to the pan, (add vanilla extract if using) and over a low
heat gently stir with a wooden spatula until thickened.
- Pour the custard into a jug and serve at once.
- To keep hot, stand the jug in a pan of hot water and cover the top
with cling film to prevent skin forming.