source: Mr. Davies, 1967 income tax department Bulawayo
Makes 10 large or 18-20 small.
- 62.5g flour
- 37.5g margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml water
- Heat oven to 190 deg C.
- Place water and margarine to boil.
- When boiling, add flour all at once and stir until it forms a smooth
mass, leaving the sides of the pan clean.
- Remove from stove and allow to cool for about five minutes or so.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, and beat REALLY WELL. The mixture
should look like very very thick cream.
- Beat _really_ well. This is most important and you cannot over
beat this cake.
- For large eclairs, use a dessert spoon, for small ones a teaspoon,
and put the spoonfuls onto a greased baking pan.
- Bake at 190 C for 35-40 minutes (large) or 30 minutes (small).
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN UNTIL THE BAKING TIME IS UP. Otherwise, the
cakes will sink in.
- Immediately you take them out the oven, make a slit in the side of
each eclair to let the steam escape.
- When cold, fill with whipped cream, slightly sweetened and flavoured
- Cover top with chocolate icing.
- Use about .5 cup of icing sugar and .25 cup of cocoa, a few spots of
vanilla. Mix with lukewarm water until just thin enough to spread.
Note: If you make these the day before, do not store in a tin or they
will go soft.