source: cookie recipe.com staff
Makes 2 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound of phyllo dough
- 2 cups chopped pecans (actually should be pistachio?)
- (1.5 tbsp cloves, whole – omitted)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1.3 cup white sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 175 deg C
- Melt butter over low heat. Pout 2 tbsp of the butter into the bottom
of a 13x9inch baking pan. Layer 3 sheets of the phyllo dough in the
pan. Trim dough to fit.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of pecans over the phyllo dough
- Layer 3 more sheets of dough, brush generously with the melted
butter, and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the pecans. Continue dough -
butter - pecan layers until pan is 3/4 full.
- With a sharp knife, score the phyllo dough to form diamonds. Press a
clove at each end of the diamonds. Pour remaining butter over the
- Bake 45 to 50 mins, until dough is golden brown.
- While dough is baking, combine the sugar, water and cinnamon stick
in medium saucepan and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Simmer
for 10 minutes.
- Add the honey and simmer for 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and
discard cinnamon stick.
- Pour honey mixture over hot baklava. Let cool on wire racks. Cut